When I got pregnant with our second son last year I had decided right away that I was going to breastfeed him. I didn’t breastfeed my first son and I always regretted it. So being that I hadn’t breastfed my oldest, I really didn’t have much of a clue as to what I was doing. I didn’t know how to latch the baby or if I was supposed to still buy bottles, I was completely clueless.
I depended heavily on the internet and friends of mine that had breastfed to help guide me.I found out through one of my friends that I could get my breast pump through my insurance company. When I had my firstborn I don’t think they had started doing that yet, so finding out that I could get one possibly covered made me happy! I went on this website that I was referred to by the What to expect when you’re expecting app and looked at a variety of different pumps.
You should know that there is a pretty good amount of pumps on the market. And they all have good reviews and bad reviews so it can be very hard to know which one is right for you. I kind of picked the pump I got by looking at reviews online. But they were always reviews from sites that sold them. I wish that I had looked at reviews on a blog that was more personal and in depth.
So now that I’ve chosen mine and been breastfeeding for some time, I thought it would be cool to maybe help some of you guys choose your pump! So today I’m gonna tell you why I chose and love the Medela pump in style advanced breast pump.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you purchase anything that I have recommended, then I earn a small commission. I NEVER recommend something I don’t LOVE. Thank you for supporting The Milking Mama!
Why I chose the Medela pump in style advanced
- It’s small and easy to carry. When I was looking online at different pumps I was amazed at how big some of the pumps were. Knowing that I had to go back to work and would need to transport the pump with me, I wanted to have something that was small and convenient to carry. The Medela pump in style is very small in size and can easily fit discreetly in a larger purse or bag.You can also purchase it where you already have it in a bag. It comes with the On the go tote, backpack or the metro bag. I love how small and cute it is and how I don’t have to worry about it being to heavy to carry in and out of work.
- It has the 2 phase expression and one button let down technology. This means that you only have to press a button once when your let down occurs to switch to active pumping.Its designed to mimic how a baby nurses. You produce more milk in less time while using the maximum comfort vacuum. This allows you to turn the pump up or down in suction to produce quicker.
- All of the parts of the pump that touch any breastmilk are BPA-free. Which keeps your baby safe and sound.
- It’s super simple and easy to use. It only has two buttons and is easy to put together and use.
- It’s easy to clean. I was a little worried about how to clean a breast pump, but the pump comes with easy to read directions and the front plate snaps on and off quickly and easily for cleaning. And the tubing is able to be cleaned in just a few minutes.
- The parts come apart easy. When I am finished pumping and have to wash all the bottles and flanges it’s super easy to take them apart and wash them. I usually wash them each time I pump and sterilize them weekly by boiling water and putting the pieces in for about 5-6 minutes.
- Its affordable. I personally did not pay for mine since my insurance covered it, but a lot of people don’t have insurance or their insurance doesn’t cover a pump, so finding a pump that is of good quality and affordable too is a big deal.
The Medela Pump in style advanced comes with a pump, two bottles with tops for storage, two tubes that connect to the pump and the bottles, two breastshields with valves and membranes, a replacement set of membranes and the cord to plug it in to the wall. You can purchase the pump in style advanced in different bag sets where the pump actually comes inside a bag too. The one that I got was not in a bag, but I have seen them online and they look super cute and convenient.
I know some of you are wondering if there are any negatives to the Medela pump in style advanced. And I will always be honest with you guys so in my opinion this pump is almost perfect except when it comes to the volume of the pump. I wish that it was quieter than it is. I pump all times of the day including at night when my son is sleeping. My son is used to the sound it makes now so he doesn’t wake up but in the beginning it would sometimes. Other than that I would absolutely recommend buying the Medela pump in style advanced pump for your breastfeeding journey. What pumps do you guys recommend?
Also, check out my post 10 must-know tips for mamas who plan to breastfeed and learn some cool tips about breastfeeding.