I admit it. I was the Mom who looked at other Moms who made their own baby food like they were crazy. I mean who wants to do all that work? When you could just buy it in a jar and open it up and bam! You’re done?! Right? But then I started reading articles about all the different reasons why it was better to make the baby food myself and I started to slowly change my mind. When I had my second son I decided that I was going to take the plunge and make his baby food myself and so far it has been great. So today I’m going to tell you all the reasons why I decided to make my own baby food.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you purchase anything that I have recommended, then I earn a small commission. I NEVER recommend something I don’t LOVE. Thank you for supporting The Milking Mama!
You know Exactly what’s going in the food
- When you are making your child’s food you are literally washing, cutting, steaming and blending it up yourself. So you know what is in there. And all that should be in there is water and the food you are preparing. As your baby gets older you can also add some spices and seasoning too if you choose
- When jarred baby food is made it has preservatives added into it to maximize the shelf life of the food (which can be up to two years) and has other additives in it as well.
- If preservatives are not added, then the food is cooked at very high temperatures to kill off bacteria to maximize storage. Doing so also kills off a lot of the foods natural vitamins and nutrients and taste. And what is the point of feeding our babies if they aren’t getting the nutrients that they need right?
- When the food is cooked at such high temperatures, it takes out a lot of the natural flavor that is in the food, which can potentially turn baby off from the food. Making the food yourself guarantees that your baby gets to taste all the yummy flavors there are to taste!
It’s healthier for your baby
- Because you know exactly what’s going in the food, you know that the fruit, veggies and meat you are giving your little one are 100% healthy and chock full of vitamins and nutrients.
- No preservatives or extra sugars are added in unless you want them.
You can have more variety
- When you buy jarred baby food there are only so many combination purees that you can purchase. Sometimes your baby may not like that combo and then you just can’t buy that one anymore. With home made baby food the combination possibilities are endless! You can mix and match different fruits and veggies and meats together and surely find a combo that your baby loves!
- Babies can be very fickle when it comes to what they will eat and sometimes there is a lot of trial and error involved. It helps to be able to make your baby lots of different kinds of foods to see what they like. It also helps to let them try all fruits and veggies so that you know if they are allergic to them or not. Jarred baby food does not offer certain fruits and veggies that you may want your baby to try.
You get to give your baby fresh food
- When you make your own baby food, the food is fresh. Even if you freeze it for later, it’s still fresh. And I don’t know about you, but fresh food ALWAYS tastes better. Jarred food doesn’t tend to be as fresh.
It tastes better
- In jarred food the food is cooked at such high temperatures to kill off any bacteria and to maximize the shelf life so most of the natural taste is taken away. Baby could be turned off from the food or never get to experience the true taste of a food until they are older and eat the real thing. And then since it might not taste the same, they might reject the food. With homemade baby food the food is made fresh so all the natural flavor is kept.
- Making your own baby food is definitely cheaper than buying jarred food. Even when you buy organic fruit it is still cheaper. If you look at the price for a jar of baby food versus how much you spend to make each serving of whatever food you are buying and making yourself you will see that it almost always comes out cheaper. Also, depending on the region that you live in, certain fruits and veggies may be cheaper too. Combine that with coupons or apps like Ibotta and Checkout 51 and you can get them even cheaper!
You get to choose the portion size
- When you purchase jarred baby food it comes in a prepackaged size. You don’t really get to choose how much your baby gets. This can be a big waste for you if your baby doesn’t finish all the food in the jar or if the size of the jar is too small and your baby is still hungry. Who likes to throw away food? Definitely not me! With home made baby food you can decide on how much you want to put in each container or how many ice cubes of food you want to give your baby.(1 cube is equal to about 1 ounce of food) That way you are never giving baby too little or too much.
Let me just say this as well, I am totally not judging anyone who buys jarred baby food. I did it with my first born and he is perfect in every way. I just think that there are some extra perks to making the food yourself. The main thing is that your baby is happy and healthy. Have you guys ever made your own baby food? Let me know in the comments!